Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Smoking Swine

The Smoking Swine Food Truck
Papa Pump's Pulled Pork
$7, Slaw $4
         I'm kind of ambivalent about food trucks. There is no place to sit, and I feel like I'm in an episode of Portlandia. Also, what about places like Big Bad Wolf and Andy Nelson's that have to pay rent? However, I am congentially curious about any BBQ place that uses some derivation of the words "hog" or "swine" in its title.
         I went for the Papa Pump's Pulled Pork because it seemed to be the raison d'etre of the menu that day, which had just been written in dry-erase by one of the guys working the truck. There was also a Carolina BBQ sandwich with a vinegar based sauce and some pickles, but I went with the Papa Pump's because I knew that if these guys were really legit that was where it would show without a doubt. Organic pork shoulder, peachwood smoked with the house rub. There were some very interesting house-made sauces available in ketchup bottles, including one marked "Root Beer", but I eschewed these. Why? Because I care about journalistic integrity, dear reader.
         I didn't want any sauces to get in the way of the swine. I have to say, it was great. Soft, buttery almost. Just the right mix of muscle, fat globs, and crispy skin. A delicious smokiness. Not sopping wet, and missing the vinegar tang I expect from pulled pork; but I am sure that this is calculated in anticipation of the available sauces. The cole slaw also was legit. The hog-shaped sugar cookie was a nice touch and delicious. I am now their Facebook friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment