Monday, March 18, 2013

Kommie Pig

Kommie Pig
kommiepig.com
@kommiepigbbq
Pulled Pork Sandwich Platter with Collards and Potato Salad, $10
         
      Another food truck. I usually associate pigs with free-market principles, but Orwell did use pigs as allegories for Bolsheviks, so who knows? The guy that took my order and served my food said he was from Russia, so I guess he would know. I'm not sure how or when this guy learned about Carolina 'que, but he was a very good student. He urged me to try it without sauce, the correct way. The 'que was indeed legit.
    Very moist, but not soaking through the bun. Soft, but with some nice al dente bits from caramelized and charred outside pieces and the natural muscle fibers. The meat was redder than I expect Carolina barbecue to be, perhaps due to paprika or cayenne. A mellower, rounder flavor than the clear, sharp tang I've experienced from this style, but quite complex and pleasing.
     The tater salad was where the real Russian flair for mayo-based vegetable salads came out. Cool and refreshing dill flavor, avoids the squeeze-bottle gloppy heaviness of some tater salads. The dressing was nice and lumpy and looked homemade. Nice bits of cucumber and maybe celery gave a great crunch.
     The collards were nice and soft with the proper seasoning meats mixed in. A soft, smoky bitterness underneath the rounder vinegar and pork that was a great complement to both the tater salad and the bbq. Sorry about the blurry pic, BUT I ATE IT ALL ALREADY.

No comments:

Post a Comment